Friday, January 16, 2015

Speaker Progress 04

Long post coming. I took a lot of photos.
Something interesting to note about this speaker is that it sounds really quite good with EQ, even at this stage. Maybe I just didn't know how to equalize the other speaker, but I remembered it sounding much more harsh or tinny. The new speaker I could run full-range in a pinch. I'll have to do a side by side comparison sometime.

 Marking the side(s) for cutting. I wish jigsaws could cut straight...
I'm going to have to use a lot of elbow grease and sandpaper to get things straight.
I did just get a rasp, maybe I'll try that to save a few sheets of sandpaper.


Testing on a scrap piece of plywood first.


Tracing handle outline.


Measuring cutout


Routing cutout.


Routers make a lot of sawdust! These pictures don't even really capture how much.
That's the real reason safety glasses are a necessity. The router was blowing clouds of sawdust towards my face at times, without the glasses it would all have ended up in my eyes, and that has a tendency to stop progress for a while... Afterward I had to clean the glasses, they were really dirty.
Also, that was a blue jacket underneath all that sawdust...


Handle fits!




Nice even pilot holes.


I only put in the side screws because I'm not putting any weight on the handles yet, and I'll have to take them off again when I paint it.


For scale :)


I put most of the photos at the smallest default size to economize on space. Click for full size.
Again, I'm really looking forward to giving my system a chance to breathe outside with some decent volume. Even running the DR250 as a full range speaker I haven't gotten past 1V, and that was plenty. On my regular speakers (Polk Monitor 40's) I used to put a spare analog meter on them, and I would typically run up around the middle of the 5V range. There's a big efficiency difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I like feedback!