Monday, November 7, 2011

Banjo update

I am making progress again on the banjos. I think I have a way to make the banjo head without all that hardware, which while it may look interesting is harder to get right and adds more complication (which I could really do without) It was suggested to my by one of my friends from church, and the way it works is simply to fasten/glue a plastic skin to the metal ring, and then bake it to shrink the plastic to tighten it. It of course requires that the plastic you are using shrink when it is heated, and that it is heated more or less evenly. I have tried it, and it works very well so far, now all I need to do is to see if it can hold the tension of the bridge when it is tuned.
Here is a sound sample of me tapping the head to see how tight it is.

I have my doubts whether it will hold up under strain, the reason being that the two head pieces are metal and plastic, and are glued with wood glue. I wasn't trying to make a permanant version, just to test, but it is holding much better than I thought it would.

Photos will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I like feedback!