Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Live Sound Part 2

Well, the movie night came and went, and was a success. Attendance was estimated between 150-200, which is at least double the attendance from last year! Here are a few photos, and then I'll list the setup.







Here's how I set everything up.

Blu-ray player -> mixer -> GEQ -> crossover -> amps -> speakers.

Blu-Ray player: generic consumer model. RCA and HDMI out.
Mixer: Zoom HD16CD (Used for volume control)
Graphic EQ: ART HQ 231 (Very nice tool)
Crossover: BBE DS24 (Not my top pick, but it does what I need, and for $100...)
Sub amp: GTD Audio TN-350 (Nice cheap 1RU amp for subs. A little noisy for tops.)
Mains amp: QSC RMX 1450 (Love this amp, class AB! But it weighs almost 50 lbs...)
Subs: 2 BFM Titan 48's. Great speakers, hitting 105 + dB peaks @ 30 feet, and they were just cruising.
Mains: Gemini 1204's They were mostly adequate. With EQ they sounded pretty good in one spot.
Looking forward to upgrading the Gemini's to DR250's. (I have one, building a second)
The sound quality, efficiency, and horizontal dispersion of the DR250's is astonishing when built with the melded array.

Subwoofer setup. (Makeshift v-plate)

In case you haven't noticed, I like hyperlinks!

Sorry, no photos of it in full action. No video either. I would have liked to get some, but it wasn't really practical for me, and I wasn't really in a position to leave and ask someone either. It was pretty dark anyway, I'm not sure the camera would have gotten much.

Future improvements:

I'm pretty happy with most of how it's set up.
I have a lot of very nice equipment, accumulated bit by bit.
Future upgrade possibilities include:

Second 4U SKB rack case for the EQ and other future gear.

Real screen. A 10' X 20' white tarp is great for the price, but is highly prone to wrinkles. I'd probably look at one of these:

Second DR 250 (currently building)

So, if you know anyone who wants to do an outdoor movie showing, let me know... My rates are usually much cheaper than competing rental companies, and you get someone to run it and do all the setup...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I like feedback!