Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Speaker progress 01

As mentioned recently, one of my projects is building a horn loaded speaker.
The design is a BillFitzMaurice DR250.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1099 (SPL charts)
I have one DR250 already, and once I finish this one my sound system will be much more complete.
Right now I'm running 2 Gemini 1204's (Cheap 12" mains) They put out sound, I won't say good sound, but adequate for most people's taste.
The DR250 sounds far better though, and if I didn't need to run in stereo I would use the one I have instead of the two others. It's also noticeably more efficient, which I care about more than most. For more on that, here's one of my favorite technical writers who can explain it much better:
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pwr-vs-eff.htm
He has many other good articles too.

Anyway, I've been taking photos, and I've got a few here:
Sorry for the terrible photo quality, I left my good camera at work, 
and while I really like my cell phone, its camera is not a strong point.



Lots of tweeters! I'm not a big fan of pizeo tweeters. They usually sound awful, but I'm using them because 1, they actually sound pretty decent when arrayed and properly EQ'ed. And 2, the horizontal dispersion is worth it. I have at least a 160 degree field of coverage on my working DR250 with no noticeable high frequency loss. My other speakers beam like crazy, probably covering 40 degrees.
I'm not really that unhappy with my mains, considering what I paid for them, I knew what I was getting, and they've held up reasonably too.

Custom jig to cut the tweeters:


 Marking the speaker mount for a center point. Pretty symmetrical.

Speaker mount finished cutting. I had to make a router jig for this too, as you can see in the photo below.

All marked up and ready to cut!

Partly cut, just need to get the middle section.

Figured I'd go with the scroll saw, it's easy to drill a hole big enough for the blade, and I think it actually cuts straighter than our jigsaw.


One more piece finished! Hopefully there aren't any mistakes, I don't want to have to cut this piece again!

This post probably wasn't of as much interest to other readers, but I wanted to have it on here kind of like a journal entry that I can look back at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I like feedback!