Saturday, September 17, 2011

Soap dish progress

I'm slowly making progress. I started out with a 48" board. I now have about 24" worth of scrap red oak strips, one promising soap dish, and a little more than 12" of good wood still left. The reason for so much scrap wood is that the wood bits I had were very coarse, as wood bits tend to be. I would start drilling, and it would be fine until the very end, when it would catch and mangle the piece or just tear it in half. I tried different speeds, fast, slow, and speeds in between, but it always caught. A drill press would have helped I think. (And could have drilled the holes straight the first time!) Here is a photo of some of the mangled wood:

I finally managed to figure out how to drill a 1/2" hole without splitting: Drill a pilot hole, and then just use a stepped metal bit. The metal bit is for a much harder material, so it shaves off material much more gradually, so the wood doesn't split. The problem that I had was that the step was not quite long enough for the piece of wood that I was using, so I had to drill from both sides, which I'm sure didn't help the hole to be straight. Be that as it may, Here is the dish while gluing, before finishing.


And with soap...
I'm not sure how I should seal it, but I have some shellac I will try, and see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I like feedback!