Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ammo can radio status 01

Here is how I am currently planning to make the ammo can radio.

Oops, I accidentally posted between this and the other ammo can radio post. Oh well,

Again, this is a modular design.
Batteries: 1 or 2, (two if I have space) 7AH 12V gel cells 
Voltage regulator: http://futurlec.com/Linear/L4970A.shtml or similar
Voltage protection: each module will be individually fused, and probably include something similar to one of these. If a module requires an odd voltage (that is, not 12 or 5 VDC) it must internally convert it.
RX: HF will probably be This general coverage receiver
TX: I will probably use this amp from Ramsey Electronics
VHF RX: I would like this radio to cover 2 meters, but may not actually be able to get that to happen. If I can, I am thinking that I will probably use a MC3362 or the newer version, the MC13135.
VFO: I am currently thinking that I would use a SI570 chip, because it works up to about 160 MHz which gives me a little bit more expandability if I wanted to add in 2M later.
Controller: I am planning to use an Arduino Diecimila because I have one, and I think it has enough capability and would do a good job.
Everything must use nuts and bolts, not screws, or glues, and as little plastic as possible
The radio will have a mainframe within the ammo can. Everything will be mounted to the mainframe, not the case (possible exception would be soldering a ground wire on the inside), and the frame will be mounted in the case magnetically. The front panel might include a few rubber bumpers in case it gets tipped upside down, so instead of the knobs, toggles, or meters hitting the rubber bumpers will absorb the shock.

Front panel design coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I like feedback!