Friday, August 12, 2011

Ammo can radio

I don't think I have posted on this subject before. I have written about it by hand, but this may be the first online summary. What this will be is a design for a fully functional and self-contained HAM radio covering most if not all of HF, and preferably 6M and 2M too. 220 would be a bonus, but I don't really use 440 much. Anyway, here are the minimum design requirements:

The entire radio must fit in an ammo can with the lid shut
TX frequency range: HAM bands only, 80M-10M, 60M excluded
RX frequency range: Same as TX
TX modes: AM, CW
RX modes: AM, USB, LSB, CW
Power: 120VAC, 12VDC, internal batteries
RF output power: 15W
Built-in antenna tuner
When a cable is plugged into the audio out jack, it must mute the internal speaker
Design must be modular for easy repair, maintenance, and upgrade
Backlit LCD for frequency display
Analog meters for; Battery/VCC (0-15VDC), Current (0-10ADC), SWR, modulation(TX), and S-meter (RX)
No external battery charging equipment necessary
1/4" audio out jack, not 1/8"
1/4" key jack
If I remember anything else I will add it, but I think that about covers it.

Next Post: current design summary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I like feedback!